Advance your career by utilizing the candidate services available from Management Recruiters - Mid Hudson Valley. We not only post current openings, but also help you land the job with our candidate preparation assistance. Furthermore, our firm provides resources to make relocation easier.
Review the current opportunities available below. If you are qualified for any of these positions, please submit your resume to us.
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR - Based in Los Angeles, CA
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR – Los Angeles
Reference Number: EDADALAMR
Location: Los Angeles
Management Recruiters – Mid Hudson Valley is an executive search firm focused solely in serving the nonprofit sector. We have a national practice and the large majority of our placements are executive leadership and senior fundraising professionals.
Our client is the American Diabetes Association. ADA’s mission is to prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all people affected by the disease. They lead the fight against the deadly consequences of diabetes and fight for those affected. They fund research to prevent, cure and manage diabetes and deliver services to hundreds of communities. ADA provides objective and credible information and gives voice to those denied their rights because of diabetes. The moving force behind the work of the Association is a network of more than one million volunteers, a membership of more than 441,000 people with diabetes, their families and caregivers, a professional society of nearly 16,500 health care professionals, as well as more than 800 staff members.
ADA has retained us to recruit and place an experienced, skilled Executive Director with them. The position is based in their Los Angeles, CA office.
The Executive Director serves as the Area leader for the greater Southern California area hub and provides overall management, planning, execution and leadership for all aspects of the organization including effective programs/services, diversified revenue and fundraising portfolio, donor stewardship, board/staff development and finance and budget management.
The Executive Director is responsible for positioning the Association as a leader in diabetes prevention and management in his/her respective community and establishes effective partnerships and collaborations with corporations, foundations, community/corporate leaders, government officials, other community organizations/nonprofits, and supporters.
Establish effective Community Leadership Board (CLB) to achieve organizational goals and objectives
- Enable and support effective volunteer leadership recruitment, stewardship and engagement. Create a shared vision and sense of ownership and accountability with volunteers and staff.
- Support the development of a high performing CLB by applying Association’s Targeted Recruitment Process, an ongoing process of identifying, recruiting and activating an influential, financially strong and diverse volunteer leadership base to champion the success of the Association.
- In partnership with the CLB, establish business plan to achieve organizational strategic priorities, drive aggressive revenue growth and execute mission in the community.
- Maintain effective communication with CLB to inform of progress, opportunities, issues, and challenges and establish gap plans to course correct and achieve financial targets.
- Provide and guide staff support for all CLB committees to enable committee success.
Demonstrate leadership and effective management
- Model Association leadership competencies to staff. Set high goals for personal and team accomplishments; tenaciously works to meet or exceed goals while seeking continuous improvement.
- Ability to lead a growing staff of 6 direct reports (Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego) and 5 indirect reports throughout southern California.
- Align staff resources to maximize performance.
- Develop annual performance expectations with staff that includes goals, objectives, inputs and outcomes.
- Communicate with impact and inspire others to high performance; promote accountability; remove barriers; support others to be creative and action- oriented; anticipate needs before they appear. Effectively manage staff in a manner that supports a productive, professionally competent work force in an environment respectful of personal well-being and cultural diversity.
- Proactively inform and assure understanding of Area activities and outcomes with the Regional Director and others as appropriate.
- Continuously work to assure Area alignment with the Region, Division, and National strategic direction and established policies and procedures.
Increase area revenue
- Develop and drive an exponential focus for revenue growth.
- Establish strategies and tactics to achieve and exceed revenue targets.
- Apply best practices and innovative ideas to optimize special events fundraising.
- Build diversified revenue streams beyond special events including corporate partnerships, foundations, retail campaigns, individual/major gifts and clubs and organizations funding.
- Work in collaborations with colleagues across the Region and organization to identify and maximize opportunities across the organization.
- Identify and steward community foundations and state grants to fund the work of the Association.
- Ensure effective stewardships strategies are deployed to maintain and further engage donors.
- Develop annual budget, monitor expenditures and income and forecast financial performance accurately.
- Provide periodic financial summary statements to the CLB.
Position the Association as a leader in diabetes prevention and management
- Develop a thorough understanding of organizational, community and key stakeholders priorities, needs and barriers to determine appropriate partners and alliances to significantly accelerate the development of strategic partnerships to facilitate the distribution and implementation of Association’s education and programs into the communities being served.
- Position the Association as the key voice on strategic task forces and diabetes coalitions at the state and local level as well as with heads of important civic organizations and faith leaders.
- Identify, engage and integrate community partners to deliver ADA’s community based programs as developed by the ADA Scientific Medical Division.
- Create an advocacy strategy and build relationships with state and local government officials.
- Develop effective and ongoing relationships with media.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field.
- 8 or more years of leadership and development/fundraising experience.
- Established success in fundraising and nonprofit leadership.
- Experience with income and expense procedures and reporting and analysis.
- Knowledge of product marketing / sales concepts.
- Successful track record of managing and motivating individuals and teams.
- Outcome driven with the ability to respond effectively to changing circumstances and priorities.
- Proven track record of recruiting high-level volunteers.
- Experience in donor database management, a plus; Blackbaud CRM or Raiser’s Edge preferred.
- Strong market, community and constituent perspective.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in using the Microsoft Office suite of applications.
- Ability to travel within the assigned state and communities; and to work morning, evenings and weekends.
This is a full-time salaried position based in ADA’s Los Angeles office. ADA offers a very competitive salary, as well as a comprehensive benefits package.